Sunday, January 27, 2008

Having A Catch

It's Sunday, it's sunny and it's 22 days from the official start of spring training. My head has come a long way from being up my hole when I started posting back in November. Since then, my health has improved, the diet has improved, our team has improved... Well, the Cory Belle arrest from the other day may hurt us. But maybe not. If the league suspends him for his off the field problems, it'll hopefully just be for a handful of games and nothing crazy.

Anyway, back to Sunday sunny thoughts. Just wanted to throw a short post out to let you know I've begun throwing again. I quietly started about a week ago throwing from flat ground. No pain - in the elbow or the wrist. Today, day 7 of the throwing regimen, was great. My catcher was none other than my lovely wife, Vanessa. I paced her off about 50 yards (since it's still winter and we're a week away from the Super Bowl, that's half a football field) and threw. I wasn't whipping it, but I was able to put some pepper on it. I felt great.

You should know Vanessa's a good catcher. The fun thing about her is we do have a catch a few times a year. She was a standout softball player for her little hole in the wall college. She never had a shot at the Olympics or anything, but she was, from what she tells me, a solid shortstop with a little pop in her bat. So when I tell you I had a catch with her, it wasn't some lazy Sunday afternoon catch. I made her sweat.

Just wanted to make the official announcement. I visit with the team physician tomorrow in New York, meet with manager Rick Churches and GM Alvin Kirby afterward, and spend the afternoon working out with Andy, my personal trainer.

By the way, Andy is singing next week an open mic night at The Apollo Theater next weekend. Go and check it out if you're in the area.

Finally, the filming of the Pepsi commercial went great on Friday. More on that in the coming days. And I thought the Diane Sawyer special Friday night on ABC was pretty good. I looked balding though, didn't I? Time for some performance enhancers for my scalp.

No comments: