Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Quiet Period

We're in the part of the baseball off season where nothing happens. Most, if not all, of the big trades have occurred. The big name free agents have been signed. Managers have been fired and hired. Same with GMs. Players are spread around the Western Hemisphere right now, some working out, some languishing, internally begging for motivation yet externally enjoying just one more day off... And another... And another... Until spring training is 10 days away and they realize they haven't picked up a bat or ball or anything heavier than a TV remote for the last four months. Those are the guys in for a beating.

Now if spring training had started in December, I would have been one of those guys. I did nothing - NOTHING - from the moment my elbow exploded on that opening day ballfield until I opted in to play one more year around Thanksgiving. I got fat. I got more bald. The good part of it was my body had a rest; it's first real rest since I was a little kid. Yes, it's important to keep physically fit. But, he said defensively and somewhat ignorantly, it's also important to rest the body and mind, get them away from what they're used to. Depression can kill your psyche, but can also be a wonder for your tired muscles.

With that said, I threw this theory out to my new shrink on Monday, New Year's Eve. Because of the non-disclosure agreement he made me sign, you can't see his brilliant responses:

Me: I don't know... I'm kind of glad I didn't work out or anything for 10 months.
Shrink:
Me: I don't feel guilty, well, I didn't. Should I?
Shrink:
Me: Oh.
Shrink:
Me: Oh.
Shrink:
Me: Oh.
Shrink:
Me: Well don't I feel like the perfect jerk.

Are you supposed to go into a visit with a shrink and feel good but leave feeling like the world just collapsed? Maybe denial is a healthy thing. Like breakfast cereal.

So my mind is a little screwy right now. My "homework" before my next session is to write thank you notes to everyone in the front office for supporting me during my convalescence. Only most of the people who supported me - manager, GM, assistant GM, coaching staff - are gone, replaced by people who have, let's say, not been as supportive. Maybe instead of thank you notes, I'll just have my agent send them an email. After all, I don't have time to write to them. I've got to get in shape before it's too late.

No comments: