Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Far East

Word on the street, or at least this morning's NY Post, is that the team has submitted its bid for - their quotes - "The Jimmy Scott of Japan," Kai Goto. Many thoughts cross my mind as I read this. If I opted to play in Japan in 2009, would I be called "The Kai Goto of Japan"? Is Kai's wife "The Vanessa Scott of Japan"? Because the team saved $9 million on me after I stupidly, virtually gave it back to them, will they win the bidding over the next team by $9 million? Will "my" $9 million make the difference?

It's a strange process we set up with the Japanese Baseball League. If a player there is still under contract, his team can basically sell him to the (sealed) highest bidder here in the U.S. Then, the winning team is not only on the hook for the full bid, but a new contract for the player too.

Judging by how much every team in both leagues needs pitching, good pitching, and the "Jimmy Scott of Japan" is scouted as a very good pitcher, my guess is the winning bid will be upwards of $40 million. When I came to New York in '94, that was our team's entire payroll.

I hope Kai gets as much as possible. Then he can be the most expensive rookie ever to wear fishnet stockings, a spiked thong and three-breasted brassiere on Rookie Haze Day.

I wonder what the papers in Japan will think of their hero then.

No comments: